Mobile Menu

Great News For Rumour's Guests Who Wish To Drive In Rarotonga

Posted on

fleet car 16

We have some great news for our guests from New Zealand, Australia, USA, Canada, United Kingdom and the EU - you are now allowed to drive in the Cook Islands using your own current drivers licence. Previously, visitors to the Cook Islands had to obtain a local licence from the Police National Headquarters in Rarotonga, a process that was often time consuming and confusing.

The new law, effective immediately, states that visitors aged over 16 are allowed to drive the class of motor vehicle they are entitled to drive in their home country for up to six months. This means that people wishing to ride a motorbike or scooter who are not licensed to do so in their home country still need to obtain a local licence in Rarotonga.

Hiring a rental car is a fantastic way to explore the islands stunning beaches, the inland road and tropical gardens.  Visitors to the island also love to visit the Saturday Punanga Nui market, and some of the cultural shows on the island. 

Now the option of driving has become so much easier for our guests, a positive move that we welcome. Note:Visitors whose licences are written in a language other than English will need an accurate translation.