2015 has already started with a bang for Rarotonga, and the party is set to continue with a year’s worth of celebrations to commemorate 50 years of Cook Islands self governance.
The organisers of the celebrations plan to honour Cook Island traditions, culture, talent, events, environment, and youth, and of course celebrate with all the people who live on all the islands that make up this amazing country.
Some of the events planned over the coming months include:
- Cook Islands style week, which will celebrate local fashion and designers.
- Music concerts, including a strings festival, Opera in Rarotonga and Arias in Aitutaki.
- Sporting events including vaka racing (open water outriggers/canoes), international triathlon week, a tinman marathon, and squash and tennis tournaments.
- Dancer of the year contests.
- A Cook Islands film festival and Art exhibition in May.
- A black tie gala dinner, a benefit dinner, and the annual cultural festival of music and dance Te Maeva Nui.
Every month there will be different events open to the public, in addition to the fantastic cultural evenings and dance shows that already take place each week. So 2015 is definitely the year to visit us and witness an important historic time for the Cook Islands.
For more information about events that will be taking place visit www.ci50th.com